Saturday, June 6, 2009

... my sewing machine

brother

what better opportunity to discuss my love for my sewing machine, than by taking part in the sewing machine meme from sew, mama, sew!

what brand and model do you have?

i am the proud owner of a brother ce-5000prw. yeah, that's a project runway logo on there. so what?

how long have you had it?

about two months.

how much does that machine cost (approximately)?

not sure of the retail price. it was listed for $179 refurbished at quality sew and vac, and I paid $139. though online searches show you can get them used for about $80 and up.

what types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?

i am completely new to sewing and started learning with quilting. i finished a beginner quilting class a month or so ago, sewed my first quilt top, and am now working on my second quilt. i'm not ruling out doing any clothing or home decor sewing in the future, but for now i'm content to work on quilts exclusively.

how much do you sew? how much wear and tear does the machine get?

i probably sew a few days a week for a few hours at a time. at this point it doesn't get a huge amount of wear and tear. i'm hoping to sew the bejeezus out of it in the future, though.

do you like/love/hate your machine? are you ambivalent? passionate? does she have a name?

i am pretty happy with my machine so far. i know it has a lot of limitations, but since i'm new to quilting and i wasn't sure if it was going to be the thing for me, i didn't want to spend an enormous amount of money on my first sewing machine. i got it to do all of my piecing and have a feeling that it might crap out if i tried to do anything else with it (i.e. the actual quilting). i really hadn't thought about giving it a name until now, but seeing as how it's a project runway machine, i will name it after the best ever project runway contestant, jay mccarroll, and call it lil' jay.

in action

what features does your machine have that work well for you?

well, it sews. that seems to work well for me. i also dig the automatic needle threader.

is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?

the only thing i've noticed so far that i don't like is that whenever you power the machine off it reboots all your settings. it's not the worst thing in the world, since i do usually sew on the preset stitch, but can be moderately irritating, especially when i sew with a different stitch length.

foot

do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., found it under the christmas tree? dropped it on the kitchen floor? sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, got it from your great grandma?, etc.!)? we want to hear it!

we've only been together a short while, so there's not a lot of history between us yet. the only silly thing that's happened so far is that, the first day i sewed with it at my quilting class, the teacher noticed that i was sewing with the foot pedal backwards. d'oh! this is what a moron i am about sewing. i thought it felt weird, but what did i know?

would you recommend the machine to others? why?

i think this is a great machine for beginners, so i'd recommend it for anyone who is just starting out, but wants a few more options than the most basic of basic machines. it has 50 stitches, and while i've only used three of them so far (i like the appliqué stitch), i can see the potential for being able to do a lot of different things.

thread

what factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?

i, personally, would start with a price range, and then go from there. when i was looking around, i saw a lot of machines that would be amazing and wonderful to have, but i wasn't in a position to spend $1000 on them. i suggest you set a budget and then find the machine that does the most for that amount of money. try some out and if there's a particular brand that you are drawn to, get that brand.

do you have a dream machine?

i don't know enough about machines yet to have anything specific in mind. but i would ultimately love to have a long arm machine so i could quilt all my own stuff. you know, in my dreams.

pins

wow, that's a lot of pins!

3 comments:

  1. I cannot find my manual and i have not sewn in awhile bc i have a 2 1/2 yr old little boy .... well, my problem is i cannot seem to get the bottom threaded.. HELP please??? I cannot download the manual bc my internet errors anytime i download anything with adobe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found my sewing machines at a thrift store. As a matter of fact I have two I found a thrift store... They are perfect for what I need them for throw pillows, pillowcase dresses, and repairs....One I bought, an old Riccar, it was very rusty. I had to oil and clean it for two days. It was locked up. As soon as it started moving it sews beautiful stitches....... I had $10 each for them....KIKI

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found a pfaff 230 at the thrift store for $20 I sent it to be repaired the owner act as though he don't want to give it back.That machine sew through anything. Beautiful stitches.......

    ReplyDelete