Thursday, July 16, 2009

... huckleberries

huckleberries

now is the season for fresh, sweet, native red huckleberries!

huckleberries

the arboretum is currently abundant with huckleberries, and there is one amazing, large, easily accessible huckleberry bush that c and i go back to every year. i would tell you, but i kind of want it to remain a secret.

huckleberries

huckleberries

we must have stood there forever picking and eating. i channeled my inner squirrel and hoarded my little pile of berries. c is better at picking and consuming at the same time. both methods are acceptable and highly encouraged.

1 comment:

  1. Oh,they look so pretty! I've never had huckleberries (they don't grow here). Are they tart or sweet? I've always imagined that they taste similar to blueberries. Given my love of berries and anything berry-related, I do suspect I'd probably like them. How awesome to have access to "wild-growing" ones nearby--wild berries of any (edible) kind are nature's best summer treats--b/c you can eat them fresh, but also freeze some for later use (e.g. pancakes), jam some of them, and bake with some.

    ReplyDelete