Wednesday, September 9, 2009

... cherry chocolate chip maple oatmeal cookies

cookie tower

i have been wondering if i should be posting recipes here. see, pretty much everything i bake is not my own original recipe. i always makes tweaks here and there, but at what point does the recipe become mine? and is it less of a problem if i publish a recipe from someone else so long as i give credit? that seems okay to me, but i am not yet wise in the ways of food blogging.

cookie dough

all that said, i feel the need to share with you the recipe for my most favorite cookies of all time. these are my go-to cookies, the cookies i make when i need to feel comforted and cozy. they combine all of my favorite things: oatmeal, cherries, and chocolate. and maple, don't forget the maple.

these cookies are also from my favorite cookbook of all time, the pastry queen. every single thing that i make from here is beyond delicious. let me repeat that: every. single. thing. i have no other cookbooks about which i can say that. please go buy this cookbook now and bake from it often.

cherry chocolate chip maple oatmeal cookies
adapted from rebecca rather's maple-glazed oatmeal cookies

you will notice that i omit the maple glaze altogether, and i use a combo of chocolate chips and cherries instead of the solo dried cranberries that rebecca calls for. i tried the glaze once, and it was good, but i liked the cookies better without. also, i hate dried cranberries. hate. but feel free to use whatever chunky thing you want in your oatmeal cookies. it honestly doesn't matter.

yield: 3-4 dozen cookies

ingredients
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed golden brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup dried sour cherries

1. preheat the oven to 350 ºF. line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.

2. using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, maple syrup, and both sugars on medium-high speed. add the eggs and beat on medium-high until thoroughly combined. add the flour, salt, baking soda, oats, cherries, and chocolate chips and mix on medium-low speed until combined.

3. using a small scoop, drop golf ball-sized mounds of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 1 inch apart. lightly press the dough down to flatten each cookie slightly.

4. bake for 7 to 10 minutes, until the cookies are golden brown. cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool completely.


whoops

(here's an example of what not to do. do not, in your excitement, let half your sheet of cookies plunge into the bottom of the oven as you are rotating the sheets. i do not recommend this at all.)

cookies go with tim hortons

enjoy the cookies that do make it out alive, as i do, with a cup of tea. tim hortons mug not required, but highly encouraged.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness me! Those look outrageously good! Wow. Must try soon. Hope you're enjoying them!
    I definitely figure that posting the recipe is fine - I've bought loads of recipe books based on a recipe I tried from it that someone had posted online, I think it's a great way to find out about new books! I would certainly never have heard of the book you recommend even though it is apparently available from Amazon over here... it's gone on my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing! I'd love to try making these when the weather turns cooler here (which I'm thinking will probably be pretty soon). I think posting the recipe is OK esp if you say where it came from or where it can be found. I definitely find a lot of recipes online that I might not otherwise have found (or tried). A food blog is something that would be fun to do, if given the time and energy to keep it up....but you raise another question for me: would the recipes have to be something I made up from scratch? The thing is, I will VERY OFTEN use existing recipes as a rough guide, and then improvise in little ways (unless they're something that require scientific precision, like popovers at altitude, or quiches or other fragile things that can collapse or implode w/o the right ingredients/conditions).

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you, jane! i think you really will love this cookbook. my most favorite cupcakes of all time also come from this one (mexican chocolate fudge pecan). i get excited just thinking about them.

    and yes, michelle, you are very right. the way i look at it is, i should probably spend even more time baking and coming up with my own stuff... see, an excuse to spend more time in the kitchen! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these today for 'twas raining and it just seemed right. Simone almost lost her mind as she begged for "cookie, cookie". Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am so tickled that you made these, kyla! and happy to hear that simone like them as much as i do.

    ReplyDelete