Saturday, December 5, 2009

... my first finished quilt!

quilt

consider yourself forewarned: following is an onslaught of pictures. with the completion of this quilt i have become the proud parent who can't put down the camera. and my quilt is my baby. i think my baby quilt is the prettiest baby quilt ever. i want everyone, the whole world over, to admire my quilt.

i mean, seriously, look what i made!!!

quilt with staggered coins

quilting

i spent many, many hours looking at this view. i had no idea it took that long to do the actual quilting. but it does. i also had seriously sore shoulders.

(i think most of the lines are pretty straight.)

quilt reflecting the sunset

folded quilt

and let's not talk about the hours i spent sewing half the binding on by hand. but i think it's worth it for such tidy-looking binding.

quilt back

i am very happy with the back, too. in fact, i think it's nearly as pretty as the front!

close up of quilt back

honest to god, when i took that quilting class in the spring, i really didn't know if i would ever finish a quilt. it felt like such a big thing and one i didn't know i would ever be able to tackle. so it makes me feel tremendously accomplished to have done this, all by myself, from start to finish. yay me!

quilt on the chair

11 comments:

  1. It's a beauty -- I can understand your excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is truly the lovliest quilt. I love the snow white and the strips of pinky pattern - Lucky baby that ever sleeps under it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done - your quilt looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful quilt, the colors are lovely. I want to learn to quilt sometime in my life. My husband's aunt made us a wonderful quilt for our wedding, and I would like to pass on the same kind of gift to younger generations when I'm older.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your lovely quiltbaby :)
    I started cutting up fabric for a quilt a couple of months ago and then I got distracted by (a) knitting, (b) real life and (c) pesky exams. But I am going to make myself carry on with it after exams.
    Wow though, I am so happy for you that it is finished! The backing is beautiful and I *love* the dotty binding. I always think it seems very appropriate to do the binding by hand, and yours is absolutely immaculate.
    Go Ara Jane!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you, Ara Jane! Congrats on finishing such an enormous project--I love the quilt. It's pretty and you should be so satisfied and proud of yourself. And because you have shared your quilting here, that inspires me to put it on a list of things to try my own hand at in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's lovely!

    I admit I never had any interest in quilts. Then I saw these:

    http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=quilts+of+gee's+bend&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=QIgcS8uLFYeKsgPBlsz9BA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CCwQsAQwAw

    ReplyDelete
  8. well done! It looks great - you have done a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, that is really really gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice work! I just finished my first class and lap quilt in February. I, too, am a proud mama :) Can I ask, did you have trouble getting your chalk lines to come out? I used a yellow chalk wheel and even after 3 washings all the lines haven't come out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i use a very pale pink fabric pencil that seems to come out just fine. i know some pencils/chalks come out better than others. i would test it on your fabric first next time to see how it does!

    ReplyDelete