Monday, May 3, 2010

... feeling like a quilter

flock of triangles

this (grey, gorgeous, cozy, blustery, rainy) afternoon i had a just-finished quilt spinning away in the dryer while i was hard at work on the floor basting another quilt as, meanwhile, two stacks of fabrics sat on my desk ready to be cut and sewn into fabulous new quilt tops.

at last, i finally feel like a real quilter!

flock of triangles

my newest creation is also my first quilt made from a pattern.* this is denyse schmidt's flock of triangles quilt, which i crafted into my own little pretty--if not insanely busy--work of art. rather than alternate the colored geese with white, i chose to send yellow and lime geese in one direction, while some mostly-grey geese seem to flying off in the other direction (alternating colors inspired by this completely amazing quilt). i find the contrast quite pleasing and also a nice way to highlight one of my favorite new color combinations. yay for yellow and grey!

flock of triangles back

and because the top is a little insane to look at, i decided to make the back quiet and calm with just a few triangles floating in a sea of pristine white. do i like the back better than the front? sometimes. depends on when you ask me!

flock of triangles back

*one note about this pattern: there is one part--one very crucial part--that denyse schmidt seemed to gloss over in the directions, one that made me go back to rip out an entire row because i didn't totally understand. being a novice quilter, i tried to sew the triangles together matching up the points, but that led to geese with their noses cut off. then i noticed the one line and weird diagram in the pattern indicating how to match up triangles by imaginary 1/4" seems. yikes! easier said than done. i think that's why some of my geese are a bit wonky.

or perhaps i'm just happier sewing without a pattern. that way, when i screw things up i can pretend it's what i meant to do all along.


flock of triangles front

11 comments:

  1. Your quilt looks awesome! I love the yellow and grey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and you should feel like a quilter ... AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, beautiful colour combination... it's perfect, you definitely deserve that feeling!
    I see what you mean about how the noses would get cut off... I have vague plans to use this pattern (it looked kind of easier than any of the others in the book...) so thank you for the heads up there; I for sure would have done the same thing!
    It always makes me smile when I see that you have posted on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow. Just absolutely beautiful and gorgeous and lovely and I want it! It's also making me want sour candy. Is that weird?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this color combination! And the back is just as lovely as the front! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same "noses cut off" problem when I attempted Anna Maria Horner's Folk Dance quilt (the zig zag). I'm still a novice, too, and my frustration at that disaster led me to slice the whole thing up and make a string quilt instead.

    I love your color choices! It's my belief that a quilt can never be too busy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous! what's funny is that I started this very same quilt about 3 months ago... get this... out of very similar grays and yellows! though I'm doing mine with a cream solid - but I'm loving the look of yours! your photos encourage me to get that unfinished quilt back out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could never tell from this quilt that you are in anyway a beginner. Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh wow, thanks everyone! i do love this quilt myself, and am a bit sad that it will soon be in the hands of its new owner. but i'm pretty sure it will have a good home.

    stephanie--sour candy!? i like that!

    ashley---can't wait to see how yours turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it is fabulous! Love the color combination and it looks just fine to me. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lordy! I just started a version of this quilt and I'm pretty sure I suffered a mini stroke trying to figure out how to piece this! Yours looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete