Monday, July 12, 2010

... summer

pimm's cup

i would like to be a summer baby, but i am, admittedly, more of a child of winter. it is more in my nature to bundle up and hunker down for the cold winter months than to set myself free under the warm summer sun. but this past week in seattle we've had the kind of summer weather you just can't ignore. and i'm doing my best to enjoy the heck out of it.

fresh picked radishes

like picking the first radishes of the season from our garden.

radishes

and enjoying them still warm from the sun sprinkled with sea salt.

pride and prejudice and pimm's

or reading a good book in the sun with a well-garnished pimm's cup close at hand.

summer fruit

or having a plate of the best summer fruit for an afternoon snack.

the pub

or momentarily escaping the heat with a cold beer in the cool darkness of the pub.

summer reading

and finding any time, any place to read. these few words from the great gatsby that i read the other day over at jane's most wonderful blog (and, sidenote, you should click on that link and read all her lovely words and enjoy her photos, and then tell her how you want her to update more, because, really, how important is med school anyhow?) really summed up how i feel about summer:

“and so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow fast in movies, i had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer. there was so much to read for one thing….”


true dat.

5 comments:

  1. Love this post...I too am more of a fall/winter/cozy person and I really hate sweating (hard to avoid this time of year in Chicago), but have been working hard to take note of and enjoy glorious weather when we get it.

    Someday, I will have a Pimm's cup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmm i'm the same (winter baby but am loooooving summer). enjoy the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your lovely words, you made my day!

    Beautiful post with beautiful pictures - i so love those rainier cherries. And Pimms! I had no idea you guys had Pimms over there, that makes me happy. The world deserves Pimms.

    But yes. I am a child of winter too. Or a child of autumn, at least. I wilt in the heat. Topping myself up with iced coffee and diet coke is helping though. And, yes, some sunshine can't be ignored. The light is beautiful and the cool evenings are the best, the best, the best.

    Enjoy your reading time! I envy you a bit of one-on-one with a novel right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful post. Looks like I might be the lone summer girl here (well spring is actually my absolute favorite, to be exact, since I don't actually love extreme heat/humidity/direct sun). But wow, I absolutely love what summer stands for and the delight that it brings. Ice tea, homemade mint lemonade, homegrown heirloom tomatoes, swimming, long days and late sunsets, hefeweizen with lemon, summer reading...all of it. I envy the super-late sunsets you guys get in the Pacific NW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. arajane, i forgot to tell you that your many photos of pimm's cup past and present have inspired me to buy a bottle of pimm's myself! now i am ready to combat summer... even though our summers are rarely deserving of a frosty pimm's, i'm still gonna have one!

    ReplyDelete