Saturday, July 3, 2010

... a sweet, quick, handmade gift

colored pencil roll

my niece's birthday was last week, and for the occasion i whipped up this delightful colored pencil roll from joelle hoverson's last-minute patchwork + quilted gifts. i had been wanting this book for a while, and i remember seeing a bunch of people making these a while ago, so when i thought about what to give her, this pencil roll immediately came to mind.

colored pencil roll

when i saw this super cute fabric (which i used for the back of the roll) at fabric crush, i suspected that olivia would like it as much as i do. i think she's at just the right age to appreciate hearts and peace signs and notebook doodles. at least, i hope she is.

colored pencil roll

colored pencil roll

i had the best time digging through my scraps finding fabrics to go with each of the colored pencils. this range of the blues, purples, pinks and browns is my favorite section.

colored pencil roll

but all of them are pretty great.

colored pencil roll

i'm giving her the pencil roll along with a copy of anne of green gables. i am so excited for her to read this book, you have no idea. i will try my best to not have my heart broken if she blows this off for a few years. but i just know that even if she waits until she is 35 to read it for the first time--like i did--she will still adore it.

colored pencil roll

9 comments:

  1. Adorable! I love the outer fabric for this project ^_^

    When did you come into the shop?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect gift! I can just imagine how delightful it was to find a rainbow of scraps. I love rainbow projects (ok, I've only done 1, but I need more!).

    I just reread Anne of Green Gables and most of the series earlier this year. My goodness - well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love it so! That lined peace fabric is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How adorable, I love the pencil roll! Your niece is such a lucky girl. And I have no doubt she'll love Anne of Green Gables, regardless of when (or how many times) she reads it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love the coordinated background fabrics! Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love the idea! You're a fabulous Auntie, thanks for the post!!! I can't wait to make one too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful present, I'm sure she'll love both the colouring roll and the book! I absolutely adore Lucy Maud Montgomery and basically re-read every one of her books each year; I'm seriously waiting for the little girls in my life to get a little older just so that I can introduce them to her writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome present! Love that last photo with the little heart. I just landed here by way of Stitched in Color. Love your blog - looking forward to cruising your older posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love love Anne! I also found you via Stitched in Color. Lovely blog and excellent cooking inspiration!

    ReplyDelete