Tuesday, August 10, 2010

... quilting bee blocks

blocks for do. good stitches

blocks for my first ever quilting bee! these are for our first project for do. good stitches. the fabulous rachel organized this round (and, in fact, put together this whole enterprise) and her parameters were that we use red and aqua and that the blocks be non-wonky and non-curvy.

i had a lot of fun making these, especially working with a color combo that i haven't used before (and discovering that i have very little red in my stash). however, i did find that i was more worried about sewing perfectly than i am when sewing for myself. thinking things like, oh no, those corners don't line up perfectly! or crap, that seam got sewn open! this is the first time that any other quilter will be looking closely at and sewing with my work, and it freaks me out just a little.

next month it's my turn to choose the theme and assemble the quilt. i have lots of ideas, but need to finally settle on one. what will it be?!

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeousness! I love the design you chose and all the little scrappy bits. I'm excited to see what theme you decide on (I'm in the bee, too!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! I always want to make scrappy blocks and then don't end up having enough scraps of the right colors in the right sizes. Guess that means I need more fabric.

    I'm still thinking about this bee...I got an invitation a few days ago, but am already pretty quilt-committed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous blocks! Love these!

    I feel the exact same way when I'm sewing bee blocks or making something for a swap . . . STRESSED over making it perfect! But it's kind of a good thing because it makes me stretch to improve my skills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, I'm not examining the blocks at all! Yours are seriously impressive. I can't wait to see how this looks all together (crossing fingers that I don't mess anything up!). I'm excited to make blocks for your month!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These blocks are gorgeous! Wow! Can't wait to see how the quilt turns out. I joined do. Good Stitches as well in the Hope circle and I can't wait for us to begin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the colour combination as I know I would not usually use those colours together. I too would get nervous with my sewing when doing it with other people!

    ReplyDelete