Monday, September 27, 2010

... my dutch bike

fiets

oh my goodness, i can't believe this is the first real picture i've taken of my new bike since i got it over two months ago. but really, she's quite photogenic, no?

i am smitten.

fiets

this is the oma, a real and true dutch bicycle from the seattle dutch bike co*. shiny, black, sleek, comfortable, lovely and handsome. notice the enclosed chain ring and skirt guard. that means i can wear whatever i want when i ride to work or to the store. in fact, i find that i dress up just in order to ride my bike.

seriously, doesn't this just cry out for a flowy skirt and high heels? (i got the skirt part down pat, but unfortunately am i not the heels-wearing type. only in my dreams.)

fiets

i can't really explain how happy this bike makes me. i think it is, in fact, impossible to be angry or irritated or sad whilst cruising around town on it. and it seems to inspire happiness on the part of people i ride by. i get so many smiles and whistles and stares and shouts of "great bike!" when i go past. how awesome is that?! maybe this is corny, but i feel like some kind of ambassador of happiness on my bike.

on my inaugural ride home from the bike shop a fellow rode up next to me on the burke-gilman, looked my bike over and asked, "is that electric?"

i smiled back, "no, it's dutch!"

fiets

and now when c and i bike to the store, i can load up my panniers with our groceries and the box-o-wine fits nicely on the rack of his bike. but maybe the box-o-wine is a you know what i love entry for another day. (dook dook dook.)

*the dutch bike co. has the most gorgeous new shop on ballard ave. everyone should stop by for a test ride and an espresso in their new cafe. in fact, we were their first customers in the new space before the shop officially opened!

13 comments:

  1. I adore your bike but I think it is your panniers that make me swoon! Did you buy or make them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. big smiles from this side of the pond! ;)

    Happy ridin'

    Marc / amsterdamize.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely - but how is it on the blasted Seattle hills? They have so many nice bikes and I'm ready to take the plunge and buy one but not sure 3-speed can handle all the hilly action around here. Tell me I'm wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. craftycripple: these are 100% store bought. i am totally incapable of making something this great. they are clarijs panniers and just as useful as they are beautiful. thank you!

    amsterdamize: thanks! i totally heart your blog.

    make!do!: well, i have the 8 speed version so that makes it a little easier, but there are many hills that i just have to get off and walk up. i think once you accept that, it's totally okay. (but i don't plan on biking up queen anne any time soon.) i honestly do believe that if you love your bike you're going to be happier pushing it up an occasional hill than you would be riding and sweating up the hill on a bike you don't love as much. (says the girl who also still owns a road bike.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great Dutch bike! and why think about heels? what you need is a good pair of clogs from Holland.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool are you... biking to the store. What a beautiful and smart set up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. After spending part of my spring in Holland I totally understand what you are saying. I am hoping to get my own Dutch bike someday soon!
    She's "zo mooi"!
    Valentina in faraway Cyprus

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heart your bike!!! Are you riding to the next sew-in? I'll bring your sewing machine in my car if you want to ride your awesome bike :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are those the kind of paniers that you lift off and carry with you after you park the bike? Or are they designed to stay attached?

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi noelle! sadly i can't make it to the sew-in tomorrow. but next one, if it's not too cold and/or rainy, i will try to ride my bike.

    lance: these paniers are meant to stay attached. my bike lock loops through them to deter any theft (i hope). i decided on these since i don't want to have to haul my bags through the store, but i know some people prefer them that way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lady, this is such a wonderful bike. I love it! I can just imagine you gliding about on it, here's to many adventures on your new wheels!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your bike. I've had my dutch bike since 1998, and it was used when I got it. I was living in the Netherlands at the time. There is a Dutch company, Basil that makes bags for bikes in awesome prints. I have blue bags with VanGogh like branches on them. Happy riding.

    ReplyDelete