wouldn't you know it, as soon as i posted that last post, i sat down at the machine and started sewing and couldn't stop. i had a scrap of an improvised log cabin block lying around from a while back that i picked up and built off and it went from there.
good thing i pretty much finished all the blocks that day, because the next morning i woke up sick as a dog.
i suppose a deadline also didn't hurt. this was made for my friend heather's baby girl, who should be arriving next month (on halloween, no less!) and who had a baby shower today. whew, finished it just in time!
i went for very minimal quilting for reasons thrice: 1) my last quilting experiment was waaaaaay overwhelming 2) i liked the look of simple squares to outline the log cabins and 3) i was kind of running out of time.
the happiest part is that it's about 90% made of scraps. and 100% made from my stash, including the backing and the binding... and the batting and the thread!
- it measures 35 x 46 inches.
- the blocks are improvised log cabins that varied in size so i finished each with pink and blue kona cottons (sorry, don't remember the colors) to make 12" blocks.
- fabrics used are too numerous to mention, but i'm happy to report that it includes quilting weight cotton, voile, canvas, linen, flannel and double gauze.
- i made a simple pieced back with a strip of fabrics used on the front, plus two lovely folksy flannel prints for super baby softness.
- the binding is kona coal. i love kona coal.