Saturday, September 25, 2010

... scraps!

scrap baskets

what my last project taught me is that i need a better way of storing my scraps. all my scraps were previously sorted by color, but they were in plastic bags kept in a tub under my desk and not super easy to access. so after this quilt--where i was pulling scraps out of bags and throwing them around like a madwoman--it looked someone barfed up fabric all over my sewing room... yikes!

scrap baskets

i loved these simple scrap baskets from the sometimes crafter and went on a bender the other day making basket after basket. these are so easy to make, yet so so so adorable, that even a dummy sewer like myself can make them easy peasy.

scrap baskets

the pattern calls for interfacing to help the baskets hold their shape, which i did use, but for some of the baskets i also used home decor weight to give them that little extra oomph. but honestly, the ones that i just made with quilting weight cottons are still plenty shapely.

scrap baskets

is it crazy to think that these are going to change the way i sew? no? great.

scrap baskets

6 comments:

  1. I've forgotten how i found your blog this morning but I've been reading it and it's lovely! I am working on my first quilt and it's nice to read about others experiences in fabric crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute! I could make some of these for my kids toys too! They look so pretty together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! I wanted to make some that called for 5 pieces of interfacing each, which made for a very expensive basket. I like how she's gone for softer sides. Now, where will you keep them? They're so pretty, they have to be seen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super idea!
    I am also a scrap magnet and have a whole system for storing scraps: by colour, by shape LOL
    But nothing as cool as this!
    FA*BU*LOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh! These are a great idea, thanks for the link. And I think we all know you're not a dummy sewer but if these are suitable for the truly challenged among us, I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete