Friday, October 8, 2010

... the 24-hour read-a-thon!

Read-a-Thon Books!

ok, so today feels like christmas eve or something because tomorrow morning, at 5am sharp, i will be participating in dewey's 24-hour read-a-thon! which is exactly what it sounds like: i will (attempt to) stay up reading for 24 hours. i am seriously giddy about this, no joke. i have all my potential books stacked and at the ready. please do not judge me by these choices. i am going for books that fall under one--or many--of the following categories: light reading, short, ya fiction, chick lit, scary/suspense, or filled with pictures (aka graphic novels). it nearly killed me to hold off on reading the new love & rockets since i got it last week (complete with signed book plate, no less), but i was able to save it specifically for the occasion. yay!

sure, my sad old ass probably has no hope of staying awake the full 24 hours, but that won't stop me from trying. i have my stack of books lined up, i will have scones ready for baking first thing in the morning and snacks and meals prepared, and the weather gods are promising rain, which should make for a cozy booktastic day.

Chris's Read-a-Thon stack

c will also be joining me in this endeavor and, as you can see, has a much more intellectually stimulating stack than i. any of these books could put me to sleep in a matter of seconds. i honestly don't know how he does it.

and jenn, my awesome pal down the street, is also joining in for much of the day, so i'll have another compatriot in this endeavor. misery loves company, right?

anyhow, if you are so inclined, please pop on over to my book blog* sometime tomorrow to hear about my read-a-thon shenanigans and cheer me on. i will try to post there every hour or so with mini-reviews and grainy hipstamatic photos and status updates on my sanity. and if you could come by to bring me a cup of coffee at, say, 2am, i would love you for life.

*yes, i have a book blog! and hey, look, i am actually capable of using capital letters sometimes!

6 comments:

  1. The Hunger Games series was SO good! I was surprised by how much it sucked me in and how much I liked it!

    The read-a-thon sounds like loads of fun. If I didn't have a 2-year-old I would TOTALLY do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Good luck! There are so many books I wish I had time to read, but I am not sure if I could read continuously for twenty-four hours. I hope to pick up David Sedaris' newest book today. I adore all of his work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoa! that is seriously hardcore, arajane! i hope the read-a-thon went splendidly and i know this doesn't mean much, but if i lived in seattle, i would have delivered you guys caffeinated goodies in support. but alas, sf is too far away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds amazing! I wish I could do a 24 hour read-a-thon. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh that sounds like so much fun, I have to join that at some time!! so how did it go?

    ReplyDelete
  6. the read-a-thon was great! i made it through 23 1/2 hours of reading and then i just couldn't do it any longer. i still feel pretty triumphant, though. and i read some great books!

    ReplyDelete