Thursday, November 4, 2010

... bee blocks

tree blocks

today was catch-up day for me. i was a bit behind in my do. good stitches bee blocks. and the blocks that were late were for the quilt that i am putting together. yipes! to be fair, i haven't yet received all the blocks from all the members, so it's not like it was waiting on me or anything. but still.

trees

my request was for scrappy tree blocks in any style, just so long as the trees were all surrounded in white. i was hoping for a forest of trees and i'm super pleased with the diversity of blocks i got. i'm glad i waited until i received most of the blocks because i feel like the quilt needs some smaller trees, so that's what i focused on. i also wanted to add more color to unite the quilt. mission accomplished. and, excluding the white, these trees are made entirely of scraps.

i am so in love with these blocks, i had a selfish moment where i thought i just might keep them for myself. sigh.

trees

i'm looking forward to getting this put together and off to wrap them in love, and hoping i can get that done in the next week or so. fingers crossed for feelings of motivation and lack of distractions.

purple and orange log cabin blocks

i also sent off my october blocks last week to jennifer of that girl that quilt. she asked for log cabins in purple and orange. purple! i had, like, one fabric in purple in my stash, so i was quite happy to discover that innocent crush has some great purples and oranges, which served as the foundation fabrics for my blocks. honestly, though, i'm torn between loving these and finding them horribly obnoxious.

what do you think?

9 comments:

  1. The orange and purple are pretty bold, but since she asked for that combo I'm sure she'll love them! Great timing for Innocent Crush to come out! The purples in that line are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the trees!! And I think the orange and purples work well together. I'm not so much of a purple person, but I do like orange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You already know I love your trees! I was surprised how awesome Jennifer's cross block quilt (September Love circle) turned out, considering we all used such different shades. I'm betting this will go over quite well in the same surprising way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the trees! Mind if I copy that idea? Haven't made a quilt in years but this got me inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks everyone!

    meaghan: great to meet you yesterday. (of course i know your blog... i now remember visiting you before!)

    the general: i am certainly not the first person to come up with the idea of piecing trees, so no permission needed or anything. they're super fun to make and i'm loving the overall effect. go forth and make lots of trees!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found you from Sew Katie Did's blog & I am glad that I did! I love all of it!
    Stefanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh are you coming tomorrow? I'd love to see the Innocent Crush!

    ReplyDelete
  8. katie: i can't make it tomorrow night after all... phooey! i'm going out of town last minute. let's talk about swimming and/or walking soon, though!

    stefanie: welcome and thank you! so glad you found your way here!

    ReplyDelete