Wednesday, January 19, 2011

... crewel

crewel kit

well, i can proudly say that i have learned a new craft and am very much in love. last sunday i took my first class at the uber-cool assemble, taught by emily of tako fibers, who is one of the sweetest and most patient teachers imaginable. if you have a chance to take a class with her (and she's teaching this same crewel class again next month!) i urge you to do so.

crewel kits

crewel kit

emily's kits come with pretty much everything you need to complete them: embroidery hoop, needle, more than enough yarn for each project, a screenprinted design on hopsack, instructions, and a little instruction book to remind you of all the stiches should you (inevitably) forget. and there were so many great kits to choose from! i picked this abstract flower design, but she also had some adorable birds, a fox, bear, party garland, raindrops, and others i just can't remember right now.

crewel practice

class started with practice, so we got to try all the stitches before going at it on our kits. i am a big fan of satin stitch and chain stitch. french knots are still not my friend. but i will persevere.

tea and toast

on monday i was lucky enough to have the majority of the day off, so i cozied up on the sofa with my crewel, some (decaf) tea, toast, and a viewing of anne of green gables. i know, lucky me, right? it was so terrific to have a day to myself where i could spend some time on a project and enjoy a movie that only i love.

crewel progress

and then i got sick. and i've spent the last two days in bed feeling pretty awful. because sick + pregnant = ugh.

finished crewel kit!

but at least i got to finish my kit! isn't it the prettiest? i think i'm going to get a slightly larger hoop and hang it in that. unless i get inspired to maybe frame it in a patchwork-style pillow of some kind. but right now i'm just so happy looking at it in its little hoop. i am picturing a bunch of these clustered together on the wall (in the nursery, perhaps?) but i don't want to get too ahead of myself.

14 comments:

  1. how pretty! That kit is great, I'll have to check this out. I love embroidery, but I've never really done any crewel. I just discovered your blog from a pin in pinterest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Anne of Green Gables too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks lovely! I've been so tempted to try a bit more embroidery of one form or another (I've only ever done cross stitch). Maybe I'll add it to my list... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so gorgeous! I want to learn how to do that. I'm still trying to perfect my embroidery skills. Crafting and watching Anne of Green Gables sounds like the perfect day! The last time PBS had an Anne marathon, I crocheted a big afghan. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so, beautifully, beautifully done! So inspiring! And, yes, I love Anne as well. I reread the series in 2010. Can't wait to share it with my daughter someday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful! I would love to learn embroidery. Also, I, too, love Anne of Green Gables.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So want to do this! Can we hang somewhere with beer (oh not you, but me) and I can watch and learn?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh so very fun - crewel is definitely something I want to try out! And don't worry you are not alone in your love of Anne (or really anything by Lucy Maud Montgomery), I've actually done some of my graduate work on Montgomery's life and writing - although I will say that the last two "Anne" movies made me want to throttle Kevin Sullivan (crazy, crazy, ridiculous man)! And I love your Moomintroll mug too, where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I found you from Rachel, when I saw your beautiful quilt with lots of trees! I love it!
    You have a 'Muumi' mug!!!
    Wishes from Finnish woman living in Crete! Teje

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks, everyone! for those of you who haven't tried embroidery or crewel, it's super easy and so i highly recommend it.

    katie: anytime!

    kaye: i adore my moomin mug so very much. i got mine at a finnish store in seattle called tuuli, but there are quite a few online shops that sell them. though i have to warn you, they are super expensive, so i treat mine like the piece of preciousness that it is.

    teje: welcome! so glad you recognize the moomintrolls!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought the little birdie kit at the Modern Craft Uprising at Seattle Center in December - must start it soon! Must start it soon......

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad you enjoyed the class! Your finished piece looks INCREDIBLE! Dare I say... better than my own finished sample! yay! - emily from tako fibers

    ReplyDelete
  13. aw, thanks emily! i'm super flattered that you think i did good job. obviously it's all thanks to your great teaching and wonderful instructions. can't wait to do some more of your kits!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found your blog and it is super cute! The crewel is very pretty and this day sounds like a perfectly perfect day!

    ReplyDelete