Tuesday, February 15, 2011

... a belated christmas gift

coasters

here's one element of my christmas gift for my mom (given to her late because our family did not get to spend christmas together). i knew i wanted to give her something hand-made, and i'm glad i opened up last-minute patchwork + quilted gifts for inspiration. these coasters are super cute and easy-peasy to make.

coasters in action

i made things trickier than the pattern called for by piecing two different fabrics on each side and using some half-square triangles (half-square triangles!) which was fine, but actually bulked things up a lot with extra seams so my machine kind of choked when it came time to quilt these puppies. i spent a lot of time with my seam ripper and going back over the more difficult areas very very very very slowly. so if you look closely you can see my goofs. but i'm sure my mom doesn't care. i hope.

coasters

i love the colors (yellow, obviously) and i got to use one of my favorite fabrics from naomi ito. maybe i need a set for myself?

6 comments:

  1. Those turned out absolutely lovely and the fabric choice is excellent. I vote for whipping up a set for yourself as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the half square triangles. and, that tree is genius. I gave these as a Christmas gift last year. But yours are WAY better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They came out great! How satisfying it must be to start and finish a project in just a couple of days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these. They are great. What a lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it - i have a crafter's crush on these!

    ReplyDelete