Thursday, February 3, 2011

... half-square triangles

party napkin quilt

so, this isn't on my list at all. but i don't care because i love it.

in the spirit of the process pledge (remember that?) i will tell you how this came about. i saw this napkin on pinterest. and, obviously it looks a lot like a quilt. but i loved the colors and had become quite smitten with the idea of making an all-solids quilt.

quilt plan

so i sketched something out. roughly. and pulled some fabric. and then realized that i wanted some brighter shades in the mix, so i added in the tangerine and bright pink to complement the papaya and carnation.

half square triangles

and then i cut and cut and sewed and sewed and cut and cut some more.

cutting

i wanted my squares to finish at 4 inches, so i cut 5-inch blocks in my selected colors, sewed them together at random and cut in half to make two half-square triangles, and then trimmed the blocks to 4 1/2 inches square. i know some people like to cut the initial blocks to 4 7/8 inches, which should leave you with a perfect 4 1/2 inch square when you're done, but these people have got to be magicians or something, because my half-square triangles never come out that perfectly. they're seriously all kinds of wonky. so i don't mind doing the tedious work of trimming them down to perfect squares when i'm done.

party napkin quilt

and then i randomly laid them out so it looks like all kinds of crazy.

i am not nearly done yet. i have some more half-square triangles to make, seeing as how i ran out of fabric half way through. yeah, i'm not so good with the planning. but more kona cotton was ordered and has arrived and i'm ready to make some more blocks so my little quilt can grow.

i had no idea what this quilt would be for when i started it, but i'm liking the idea of this being my first baby quilt. since we found out that our little snowdrop is a girl (a girl! squeeeee!) i am really in love with this insanely bright color palette for the nursery.

19 comments:

  1. This is just striking! I adore the palette you've picked - it's so easy to forget how beautiful solids can be, starring themselves. And YAY for girls! I've got 2 and love it love it love it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! The colors are beautiful! I gasped when this just popped into my reader! It's so great that I can't stop using exclamation points!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is beautiful! I have not yet made a quilt using only solids but I think it needs to be added to my list!! On another note... I started out with a brother sewing machine- didn't want to spend too much until I knew how much I would use it. I took up quilting about a month later and my brother lasted one year before it locked up. In that time I seriously caught the quilting bug so it wasn't long before I bought a new machine. My choice was a Janome MemoryCraft. It has been a great machine. I really love to free motion quilt and do some pretty heavy patterns. Using my Janome I have never had any issues with tension. Anyway, have fun picking out your new machine- I know I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always have to trim HSTs as well! I don't think I've ever made one that turned out perfectly without needing a bit of a trim.

    It's always fun to do the odd thing not on the list - I made a baby blanket last week that wasn't on the list and it was a nice change, much as I love my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks beautiful! Lists are great, but it's also great to be spontaneous enough to veer from "the list" and create what you are feeling at the moment.

    That's the same way I make HST. Seriously, who are these people who can cut 7/8" accurately??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! The colors are great! I want to try out some half square triangles. . . so many cool ways you can arrange them!
    Congrats on your little baby girl! Baby girls are so much fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome! i love this bright quilt top in solids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's absolutely LOVELY, Ara. And what a cool, yet girly palette for your baby's room. I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's lovely! I've got a finished quilt in a half-square triangle design for my daughter that is SO similar to those napkin colors! I'm also doing one for my son's bed that is based off that fancy hotel in L.A. that has this kind of pattern all over their walls in blues, grays, and cream. I'm addicted to this pattern it seems! And now, even more so, after seeing your lovely color story!

    Congratulations on a girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations!! I love the colors you chose. Good call adding the brighter colors to the mix. It's going to be a beautiful baby quilt. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty and bright! A nice thing for February!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are some napkins! This is the second quilt I've seen in blogland that they've inspired. The other is at BumbleBeans: http://bumblebeansinc.blogspot.com/2011/01/obsession.html

    Both are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i LOVE the quilt and congrats on the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on the little girl! That's great news!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Girl! So exciting and you already know my fondness for HST.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my!!!! I just stumbled on your blog... I LOVE THIS QUILT. it's seriously brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh gosh. I too am new to your blog too, and I'm so happy I can across it. Everything is so so lovely, and I am dying over this quilt!! Absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete