Sunday, February 27, 2011

... a soft and cozy baby blanket

receiving blanket

a friend from one of my book clubs is having a baby very soon and for her shower i whipped up this lovely little receiving blanket. the guidelines (and i do mean guidelines, there is no real pattern) are from anna maria horner and i used her folksy flannel for one side and little folks voile for the other.

flannel + voile = super cozy softness.

receiving blanket

i even bound it in a solid voile, which freaked me out a bit. it was my first time making bias binding and boy, i did not like it. obviously, i love the rounded corners and the overall effect and how easily the bias-cut binding curves into place. but cutting the strips out from slippery voile, which is also wider than standard quilting cottons, and then piecing them together to make binding, well... it kind of broke my brain.

also, i will admit, i am not a fan of cutting large pieces of fabric. i could sit around all day and cut thousands of 1-inch squares quite happily, but cutting one 36 x 36" piece of fabric made me want to jam a rotary cutter in my skull. if anyone has tips on how to make this process easier, please do tell.

receiving blanket

and though i just complained more than i should have, i still want to make a bunch more of these. (and maybe if i keep making bias binding over and over and if i keep practicing cutting large pieces i will get better and in no time, i will be a pro and then i will stop complaining about these things!) they are so soft and sweet and the perfect size for a new baby. i have a few large cuts of some beautiful cotton lawn that will also pair nicely with the folksy flannels, so i can see making at least a few more of these receiving blankets for my own little snowdrop in the coming weeks.

7 comments:

  1. Your blanket is beautiful! You might get away with using binding cut on the crosswise grain instead of on the bias...If you pull on the crosswise, you will notice quite a bit of "stretch". I have successfully used crosswise on jackets with rounded bottom fronts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oohhhhh I want to eat this blanket with a spoon. So yummy!

    My trick for cutting big pieces of fabric - because my main medium is vintage sheets - rrrrrip it. Probably not the best idea with voile, and maybe not even possible with flannel? But it definitely saves me from wanting to implant a rotary blade in my noggin, which I would definitely want to do otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderfully special and gorgeous! It's 100% fabulous. Oh, I don't like sewing with voile and I don't like making binding - so I hear ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous blanket! I think it would be not nearly so bad to cut out bias binding if it hadn't been voile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I HATE cutting large pieces of fabric too - much bigger than 12" x 12" and I start going bananas with it. Fiddly piecing doesn't alarm me at all either though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you seen the tutorials for making a continuous bias binding, like this one: http://www.colettepatterns.com/blog/tutorials-tips-tricks/continuous-bias-tape-tutorial? At least it saves you the fiddly little seams to join the strips...

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks, bonnie! i actually did take a look at that tutorial, but for me the easiest part is sewing the strips together, so i just decided to do it the old-fashioned way. i think what i just need is more practice.

    ReplyDelete