Thursday, March 31, 2011

... finishing what i started

citrus blocks

especially long-forgotten projects. like this quilt i started for my to-be-nephew last year and never finished. until a spurt of energy overcame me last week and i managed to make the quilt back, baste it, quilt it, and bind it in just a few days.

it makes me wonder why i put it off for so long, when it was so simple to finish.

citrus blocks back

actually, i couldn't decide on a backing for the longest time, until i finally saw this anna maria horner folksy flannel (diamond mine in grass) and decided it was perfect. i wanted something equally bright that would highlight the diagonal quilting. yay for yellow!

citrus blocks binding

i bound it in a simple grey polka dot to restrain the brightness just a little. i like it very much.

the quilt is 48"x48" and is made of half-square triangles with a variety of fabrics from my stash. the white is robert kaufman essex linen/cotton blend. this little quilt will soon be zooming through the skies to my nephew in toronto who is, hopefully, not too big for it now.

11 comments:

  1. love it! the polka dot binding is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is gorgeous. It's perfect for this time of year too, really springy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I just LOVE your blog! Found it while googling others who have made little folks quilts, and not only do you have yummy food and gorgeous fabrics -- you also have such a fantastic list of other blogs.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this little quilt and love that you had a finish! I'm also in the throws of a half square triangle finish ..... From about 8 months ago! Better late than never!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It came out so beautifully! The front is gorgeous, perfect fabric for the backing and I love the quilting! That is one lucky nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the most perfect backing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love! The grey binding really sets it off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's lovely and I like your choice of binding very much. (it's a pity I'm not your nephew ;))

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so light and airy. Love the AMH flannels for backing.

    ReplyDelete