Monday, May 2, 2011

... the happiest quilt

the happiest quilt front

an alternate title for this post could be "you know what i hate?... cancer." because in the last six months three wonderful women i know have been diagnosed with breast cancer. and i'm sure you don't need me to tell you how truly terrible that is. i lost one of my best childhood friends to cancer when she was only 23 years old, and on a purely selfish level i just can't bear to go through that kind of loss again.

my neighbor and friend, deb, was diagnosed last month with a particularly nasty type, and has already undergone a mastectomy and started chemo last week, to be followed by more chemo and then a bunch of radiation. with everything she has been through and everything she is going to have to go through i wanted to make her a quilt to provide maybe just a little comfort through the next few difficult months.

i call this the happiest quilt, because i wanted it to be as cheery as possible. bright colors, happy prints, warm, simple and cozy.

the happiest quilt

i tried my hand at some embroidery on the back, and yes, it's not great, and yes, i need more practice with embroidery (that O just keeps mocking me), but it expresses what i feel and what i want deb to know. so i'm okay with the imperfections. (and speaking of imperfections, these photos were taken quite hastily, before i noticed how terribly wrinkled the quilt looked due it being folded up overnight, but after it was delivered so i couldn't take better pictures. i promise the quilt doesn't look this terrible in real life.)

the happiest quilt binding

this is just a simple patchwork using many of my favorite prints in orange, pink, yellow and turqoise with some bright kona cottons mixed in. the back is mostly kona tangerine and the binding is pieced with the same kona colors i used on the front.

the happiest quilt back

it measures 56 x 64" and i did my usual straight line quilting, not too fussy, because i wanted to finished this quickly for deb to have as soon as possible.

14 comments:

  1. Fantastic job. I think quilts make fabulous "love" gifts. I'm sure Deb will be encouraged and uplifted by the quilt and knowing you made it with love for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish Deb & your other friends all the best. A quilt sure can't hurt :)

    I have a few choice words for cancer myself. I regret not making a quilt in time for my friend to enjoy before cancer took her at 29.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally awesome. Everything. Especially the "o". Oh, and the tangerine!

    Really, Ara Jane, this is pure good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's amazingly beautiful. and will be loved I'm sure, sorry to hear about your friend. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cancer sucks! But your quilt sure is sweet! I'll keep your friends in my prayers. I'm hoping for a cure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, it's beautiful, and I'm sure it will bring your friend comfort in the difficult times to come. And your embroidery is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The 'O' looks kinda like kissing lips on the side. Don't worry about the embroidery, it looks fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is just perfect! i do hope it brings your friends many smiles while she recovers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend/neighbor Deb, and your other friends. I wish them the best, and although I don't know your friends, I will certainly think good thoughts for them. This quilt looks beautiful, and the colors are sure to bring Deb some smiles and good cheer. You're such a sweet friend to do that for her. I'm sure she will treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such a happy quilt. I love the bright colors. I am going to be sending Deb all my positive energy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A friend just told me this morning that she was diagnosed with breast cancer. The quilt will be sunshine to her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilt, beautiful post. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a close friend going through it now also and 2 of my dear book club members last year, that's not even going into family members. I hate cancer but I think your title the happiest quilt is the best way to approach it with love for our friends that are going through such a @#%@ thing.

    ReplyDelete