Sunday, September 4, 2011

… blackberry season

blackberries

summer has been slow to start here in seattle. we only just really got into it last month. that means, as usual, september is looking to be downright summery gorgeousness. and for us that means that it's finally blackberry season. i am always surprised when i see people selling blackberries. don't they know you can get them for free, like, just about everywhere? you can't walk two steps in this city without tripping over a blackberry vine. there are two terrific patches just in the alley behind our house that i frequent in the summer to get my fix.

breakfast

this morning i ventured out in the alley in my robe and flip flops to pick some berries for buttermilk pancakes.

pancake stack

i fry my pancakes up in our cast iron skillet so they are all sorts of wabi sabi. i think i like them kind of wonky (like i like my cake).

berry sauce

i topped my pancakes with fresh blackberries along with some leftover berry sauce i made last weekend for this most delicious summer bread pudding.

breakfast

yum!

dahlias

and you know what else i love in the summer? dahlias. oh boy, do i love dahlias. nothing says summer like having blackberries and dahlias on the table.

7 comments:

  1. love my blackberries piled on mascarpone and an almond crust with reduced port on top. we picked a load at lake washington today when we went swimming.

    dahlias filled the tables at our wedding. they're my favorite.

    see you next week? i have wednesday, thurs and friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dahlias! And yay for blackberry season! I absolutely love blackberries. They are one of summer's best treats. Wild blackberry vines tend to be one of the best kept secrets where they grow on their own like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh, I love dahlias too! They have to be the most gorgeous flower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I want, I want, I want! Growing up in Ca, we picked blackberries too. But here in SC I haven't been able to find them really thriving. Pout. What lovely pictures and pancakes, Ara Jane. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love our blackberries too! This season wasn't the greatest because it was so dry, but we had them over ice cream a few times!

    I'm still enjoying the dahlias outside! They're one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am I the only one that sees the face of Grover in the pancake shot from above? The third to last image? :)

    ReplyDelete