Friday, September 2, 2011

… cake, just because

i like to bake. but that's no secret. this cake came about because of one very overripe banana in our fruit basket and an old pin on my "to make and eat" board on pinterest.

banana cake

i am not too shabby a baker, but there are some things that completely elude me. one of those things is how to properly frost a cake. "ara jane, why don't you try a crumb coat," you might say! and to that i would reply, "what's a crumb coat?"

i am kidding (just a little) but i really do prefer cakes that are more rustic in appearance. you know, big puffs of buttercream and wonky, sloppy layers. it is a fact that they taste better. is there anyone out there who actually likes the taste of fondant? yeah, i thought not.

banana cake

of course, now i have an entire cake in my house with no where to take it and no one to eat it except me and c. (like that's a bad thing.)

oh, and this really might be the best banana cake ever. no wait, it might just be the best cake ever, it's that good.

6 comments:

  1. That cake is making me hungry, and banana cake sounds quite delicious. Frosted/iced cakes ARE the best kind of cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are lucky with your bananas. I am in Australia and craving bananas at the moment, but at $13.00 a kg, I will have to go without.

    Regular fondant icing is not the nicest, but I bought some here for my kids cakes that taste like vanilla icecream. It is delicious. I seriously could eat the whole tub.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy! I am totally down with the bleurgh at fondant - we iced our wedding cake with plain cream cheese frosting because I just could not get my head around covering my yummy carrot cake in boring sugary fondant. Sure, it didn't look as picture perfect, but there were practically everyone complimented us on the flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love people who like to bake - unfortunately none of you are my neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you and C need someone to help you eat the cake? Cause I probably know someone who can help you out with that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, I've never had banana cake. This is most definitely a problem.

    ReplyDelete