Thursday, December 15, 2011

… doing good

(whoops, it appears i missed posting yesterday. let's pretend i've just been sitting here with my feet up by the fireplace and somehow forgot to post in my happy blissed out state. sure!)

improv quilt

but here's some good news! i finally finished the august improv quilt for the love circle of do. good stitches. just in time for some warm holiday fuzzies. because one of the many great things about christmas is spending some time doing something good for others, right?

improv quilt

for this quilt i asked for improv-pieced blocks in browns, creams, yellows, and pinks. didn't everyone do a fabulous job? after much hemming and hawing i finally decided to go with that lighter linen for the sashing. i have come around to loving it, but honestly, it took me a while.

improv quilting

i also spent countless hours quilting this and then ripping out said quilting. some of that was due to my own stupid mistakes, and then some was due to me changing my mind repeatedly. i thought i'd try a kind of squiggly quilting within each of the blocks, but let me tell you, that looked terrible. so i went with a straight line grid. a double line around each block and a triple line on a diagonal running through the centers of each block. what i especially love it where all those lines intersect at the corners of each block. that makes me very, very happy.

improv quilt back

you can see the quilting even better on the back. yay!

for the back i made a long improv strip with leftover scraps, and then used that awesome joel dewberry herringbone in two shades of brown. wow, that's a lot of brown.

improv quilt binding

and hey, the binding is even more brown! but it's a super duper awesome alexander henry heath.

improv quilt binding

ok, so here's where i went photo crazy and started taking pictures in front of the christmas tree because i want to photograph everything in front of the christmas tree right now.

improv quilt

and here's one more, because when you've got a chance to photograph a finished quilt in the golden glow of a christmas tree, you take it, right?

and a bonus since i forgot to post yesterday, here's my little snowdrop's 23 week photo. i love this one because it looks like she's breaking down some serious dance moves.

23 weeks

fabric: ikea by s. edholm and l. ullenius

9 comments:

  1. That quilt is amazing. I wish I had the patience to do that amazing quilting. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilting is great it's so good you followed your instinct and did the straight lines. Such a cute baby picture as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Though pink isn't my favourite colour I like your quilt very much. Very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is wonderful as is your baby : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy to see the finished quilt - it's just gorgeous. I need to keep working on my skills so someday I can be part of the do.good stitches bee too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness that Ikea fabric is to die for! LOVE. Ok,and yes, Ingrid has great moves for someone her age. As I said on Flickr, the quilt is a great finish. The quilting pattern you settled on is lovely. I know how painful it is to pull out quilting so props to you! Thanks =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That quilt is gorgeous and is going to make someone very happy. I love the quilting. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete