Friday, January 13, 2012

… making progress

Arkansas traveler #2

i had enough time this week to make another arkansas traveler. this one is all aqua. i am still in love with this block. good thing because i have 18 more to make.

new cutting mat

and good thing i bought a new, gigantic cutting mat (super cheap with a coupon at joann--i've come to realize that if you're paying full price at joann, you're doing it wrong). i'd been getting by with an 18x24 mat for the past few years, which was fine for smaller projects, but cutting larger projects was a total pain in the butt. now i don't have to sidle around to the awkward side of my desk when i need to handle larger cuts of fabric and cram the hangover into my scrap baskets.

ah, sweet freedom!

and seriously, this new mat is terrific since i apparently had forgotten how much cutting is involved with making a whole quilt top. it's been that long since i've made one on my own, and i feel like i've spent hours and hours and hours just cutting. yikes!

two arkansas travelers

and here are my two blocks together. i am so excited about the white space that is forming stars. i am seeing some beautiful quilting going on in there… beautiful quilting i'm not sure i can do myself. oh well. we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

9 comments:

  1. These blocks are gorgeous! Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great block! Love the two you've done so far. Look forward to seeing progress on it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! These blocks are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love the color schemes, both within the blocks and how the two blocks work together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those points are perfect and I love the fabrics!! I can't wait to see it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these blocks, might have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty Ara Jane! I looked at the instructions for this block and decided I'll just admire yours from afar instead of trying my own. :) Can't wait to see them all come together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hurray for the bigger mat. It makes SUCH a difference! Course your blocks are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really, really love the color combo you're using. I am quickly falling in love with these blocks.

    ReplyDelete