Monday, January 16, 2012

… stashing locally

Stashing

i really have to work to keep on top of my stashing habit. i mean, i need at least a yard of fabric for every week for the first year of my little one's life to maintain this photography project. and let me tell you, that's not easy!

stashed

last week i stopped in at my lqs, the quilting loft, to see what's new (to me). i found two large-scale floral prints and the smaller red floral print from the peacock lane collection. these are the kinds of prints i look for when i think about what would look good behind the little snowdrop. prints that are bigger, dramatic, and high contrast. unfortunately, these are not always the same kinds of prints that i am usually drawn to for quilting.

stashed

when i sew i tend to like small-scale designs, and lately i find i'm really into single-color, linear graphic designs. like that red grid print by kyla may for the smirk collection, or that green i heart squiggle print by rashida coleman hale. and always, always polka dots. i ordered this stack from drygoods design online, an absolutely lovely site run by the equally lovely keli, who i recently met via the seattle modern quilt guild. not only does she stock a terrific selection of gorgeous fabrics, but if you live in seattle she will hand-deliver the order to your house. i can't think of anything nicer than that. and even if you don't live in seattle your order is packaged up so sweetly (mine was tied with baker's twine and topped with a pixie stick!), she seems to offer great deals on shipping, and there are currently lots of great fabrics on sale.

(i should also point out that no one pays me to say anything nice. in fact, the thought is making me laugh to myself. it's probably pretty clear that i do not have sponsors or underwriters. all my fabrics are purchased by me alone and all my nice words are thought up by me. so when i say i like something, you can trust me that i honestly do mean it.)

so yay for adding to my stash and yay for quality local businesses!

now on with the sewing.

1 comment:

  1. Great new additions to your stash. I am jealous. I have started to buy more fabric locally to support my LQS.

    ReplyDelete