Thursday, February 16, 2012

… a tidy pantry

pantry before

i know, i know, this is so unglamorous, but i just have to share. as you can see, my pantry needed a serious makeover. and by makeover, i really just mean that it needed to be cleaned the eff out.

pantry before

looking at these photos, i actually can't believe how terrible it was before. i am truly ashamed. meaning i am filled with actual shame that i let it get this bad. that pile of bags alone is giving me palpitations. and what you can't see in these pictures is the layer of dust and grime that covered the floor. i couldn't even look at what i unearthed underneath those cartons of almond milk and stacks of napkins. [shudder]

so armed with some elbow grease and a bunch of extra storage jars that i picked up at ikea, i went to town on this sucker and ruthlessly chucked expired icky food, consolidated items, moved much of the bulk foods to jars and scrubbed scrubbed scrubbed. i even took all of those aprons down and threw them all in the wash (i have a terrible habit of not washing my aprons very frequently).

pantry after

and, let me tell you, i am tickled with the result. so much so that whenever i walk by the pantry now i open it up and just stare at it. and grab a few celebratory chocolate chips from the chocolate chip jar*.

pantry after

i can't decide what my favorite part is. it's between all the pleasingly filled jars and the baking shelf. i do love all my baking supplies to be organized with much-used ingredients close at hand.

pantry after

there are still a few items still in bags, but they are mostly just backups to the bulk items that we eat frequently and are already in jars, and a few oddball items that i can't bring to give their own storage containers yet. but i've already become better about using what's in the pantry, which, take my word for it, is much easier to do when you can actually see that you have on hand.

this is all part of a bigger scheme of mine to work on household projects with some regularity. there are so many things i've neglected or just not gotten around to, so i'm trying to commit to doing at least one big project every week. and i will reward myself with chocolate chips and self pats on the back. yay, me!

*it is my humble opinion that everyone needs a chocolate chip jar.

6 comments:

  1. I agree that I definitely NEED a chocolate chip jar, even though we don't do baking in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laaaaah (that's the sound of angels singing!). It's gorgeous! (and I'm quite jealous that you even have a pantry. We have a little closet under the stairs but it's on a different floor than our kitchen (and I'm completely lazy). Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to purchase a chocolate chip jar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your newly tidy pantry is truly a thing of beauty. I'd do mine too, but I'm out of Valium.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I DO have a chocolate chip jar! I like to mix mine with walnuts for my evening treat. But tonight I made carrot cake. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i often mix mine with a handful of granola from an adjacent jar. yum!

      Delete
  5. A major inspiration! I just went and sorted out my greenhouse. Very jealous of your pantry space too, mine is tiny in comparison, and so messy. Perhaps I should take your approach of weekly projects, it feels like the right thing to do in spring.

    ReplyDelete