Friday, September 28, 2012

… giving

do. good stitches love circle swap

remember that swap where i received the most fabulous of pillows? well, i totally forgot to write about what i made and sent to my swap partner. or maybe i mind-blogged about it. oh yes, i'm sure i must have mind-blogged about it at least a dozen time.

but at least now it's safe to say that the package has been received so i can post about it here. anyhow… my swap partner turned out to be the fabulous miss jacey, who was my roommate when i went on the fabulous sewing retreat to atlanta in june (don't worry, i'll stop talking about it someday). i was so excited to make something for her that it almost paralyzed me with fear. i mean, how do you make something for someone so talented and cool without disappointing them? gah!

do. good stitches love circle swap

i settled on making a pillow, since she mentioned that might be something she'd like to get. her inspiration board has quite a bit of triangles and flying geese, so that's the direction i decided to go in. i used colors that seemed jacey-like in some of my favorite fabrics (from chicopee, field study, cameo, some lizzy house pearl bracelet, and few others from my stash) and made some happy and quick flying geese blocks using this terrific tutorial.what i'm saying is that once i stopped worrying and fretting so much it all came together.

you can also see that i did a little bit of hand quilting in coordinating colors amongst the grey geese. i wanted it to have a random feel, but looking at these pictures again i'm kind of wishing i quilted in all of the grey geese. and since i didn't plan the pillow terribly well, i had to put a little border on it in black kei honeycomb to bring it up to a standard size. i backed the pillow in my very favorite essex yarn-dyed linen in black and inserted an invisible zipper using katie's terrific tutorial (and remembering, vaguely, what she taught in the invisible zipper class i took from her a while back).

treat yo self!

but that's not all! because i think jacey is so darn cool, i made her a little embroidery to round out the package. i know she likes parks and rec (like any intelligent, cool, funny person should!) so i embroidered one of my favorite quotes from the show. that's right, treat yo self!

and, as you can see from the top photo, i threw in a few extra treats so jacey really could treat her self! there's some homemade granola and several bars of the tastiest chocolate from a seattle chocolate maker. oh, okay, and a skein of yummy manos del uruguay yarn since i know jacey is also a knitter.

i was so relieved to hear that jacey liked her package. i mean, i'm sure she would probably lie to me if she didn't like it, since she's pretty much one of the nicest people you will ever have the chance to meet. but, overall, i am happy to have been part of such a successful swap!

7 comments:

  1. ah man! I love Parks and Rec and that embroidery is amazing! Soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ara Jane, what a perfect package! I'm glad you were assigned to Jacey because she deserves a package this fabulous. The embroidery is so totally "her". You're so fun, Ara Jane!

    P.S. Let's keep talking about Atlanta. I don't want to forget!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cool! love all the special touches you added.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you kidding me? I didn't have to fake it, my friend. Everything you sent was so thoughtful and amazing! I'm savoring the last of the granola and chocolate bars, and the pillow now sits behind me while I"m at the computer, as in now! I love everything you did. You really went above and beyond, and I'm so glad I got the chance to meet you! And I'm with Rachel, let's NOT stop talking about it. ;) Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I love the flying geese. Your sense of color is so awesome too. Want me to bring your quilt on Saturday? xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this so much and you are right, jacey is so awesome and truly one of the nicest people i have ever met! so so glad she is my friend, and so glad You are too! xo you are so great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seeing everything you made just "looks likes Jacey". You totally nailed it and she was right to be so thrilled!! I wish I could have joined in the swap, but I missed the deadline, bummer!

    ReplyDelete