Wednesday, October 24, 2012

… exes and plusses

x&+ quilt front

oh hey, look, i finished a quilt!

this is another one for do. good stitches. i fell in love with this quilt first when i saw the one pétra made and then i fell in double love with it when i saw the one that jessica was working on during our atlanta retreat. so i asked all my love circle members to send me blocks using this tutorial by badskirt. this was a completely scrappy quilt--there were no color restrictions or any other guidelines aside from using whatever scrap fabrics you had on hand. these blocks come together so fast and were so fun to piece that i think i made six before i realized that i probably didn't need to make so many.

x&+ quilt

i thought i had copied jessica's quilting exactly, but i'm realizing now she did double lines around each + and x and i apparently only had the patience to do single lines. which was still a lot of quilting. (jessica, i tip my hat to you. you have bigger quilting balls than i apparently do.)

and speaking of quilting, this is the first quilt i've done on my new machine (i finally got a janome 6600p… yay!) and i can't even begin to say how great it is to sew on a machine that really quilts. evenly. and smoothly. did i mention evenly? i actually looked forward to doing all this quilting. yay for new, functional sewing machines!

x&+ quilt

i added a border since the blocks alone weren't quite up to a good size and i used my most favorite fabric of the the moment, that dreamy robert kaufman essex yarn-dyed linen in black. and, while staring at the border and liking it but not quite loving it, i realized that my mind was extending those lines past the edges of the blocks, so why not pull some of them out to create that illusion. i am quite smitten with the effect.

after auditioning what felt like a bazillion fabrics i finally realized that i just wanted to keep a good thing going with the essex so i used it again for binding. i like it, too. it keeps the focus on all the fun x & + blocks, and it looks nice with the fabrics on the back.

x&+ quilt back

i'll be honest, for the back i wanted to use something i already had on hand, so i pulled a bunch of fabrics i had yardage of back from when i was doing ingrid's weekly photos. i made a simple four patch with some bright, graphic florals. this also make me happy. nothing fancy, no big deal.

the finished quilt measures 55 x 55 inches, a nice lap-sized quilt. it will be on its way to wrap them in love shortly. this is the fifth quilt i've made for do. good stitches and it's always hard to let them go, but it makes it easier knowing they will soon find themselves in the hands of a deserving child.

10 comments:

  1. The essex grey is a fabulous way to set off those even more fabulous blocks - a most gorgeous finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesomely beautiful! Love the Essex and how you extended the lines. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to go back and finish reading this post because I just couldn't stand it and HAD to comment. I LOVE this quilt. I too have been inspired by X and + but haven't quite got to it on my list. Yours fills me with envy...is that bad? Put an X against that bit and a + on desire. Great job! Love it! tx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it in the square format and especially your border details. You're thinking outside the box har har! Really this is just such a fun block and I love the scrappiness of it.
    I can't wait until I can get a new Janome congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very pretty! I love all of the fabrics and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty!! I love love love this quilt! The border is awesome with some of those lines extending, and the essex linen is so pretty! YAY on your new machine, you are going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I like the back. It's scrappy like the front - perfection! Hope your machine keeps being loads of fun =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it a lot. I like that you extended the scrappiness to the border. That's a great idea and adds a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I seriously can't say how much I love the little extensions into the border. And the yarn-dyed. And this quilt. And you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love this!!!! the quilting is perfect and it is just gorgeous! the yarn dyed is perfect perfect perfect! i wish it was for me! ;) xo

    ReplyDelete