Tuesday, January 1, 2013

… another new year

new year's walk

oh, 2013! i am so happy to see you. you are so fresh and clean and shiny. you are nothing but blue skies and possibility and i love you for that. i love you for making your first day here in seattle so incredibly gorgeous that we all just had to get out of the house and go for a walk and bask in your frosty sunshiny goodness at the center for urban horticulture (i love winter walks there… see our new year's walk from two years ago).

new year's walk

new year's walk

new year's walk

new year's walk

new year's walk

we've been deliberating over what this year's family motto should be and are having a hard time settling on one. i initially liked "walk it off", as you can never go wrong with a walk, especially with ingrid still saying "walk? walk?" about 50 times a day. and then we joked about "one miracle at a time", but it felt a little too sarcastic. i tossed around some basics like "be kind" and "play nice" but am now leaning toward "clean it up". i like the idea of this on many levels: the first being simply clean up your physical space. but there's also cleaning up your mental space and cleaning up all those dangling, nagging tasks and cleaning up your attitude. so that's the frontrunner. i just need to convince c it's not my way of nagging him into cleaning up the basement. (it really isn't, i swear!)

(do any of you have any mottos or words or resolutions for the coming year? i'd love to hear them!)

new year's walk

new year's walk

new year's walk

this year we decided to forego our annual new year's day party and instead spent today relaxing and enjoying ourselves. instead of slaving over a bunch of cooking and cleaning yesterday, c and i lounged around last night drinking champagne cocktails and watching thin man movies, as is our new year's eve tradition. and this morning i got to sleep in a bit and make scones for breakfast and also got in a couple of hours of sewing this afternoon. sewing! if today is an omen of what the rest of the year will bring, then i'm sure it will be a good one filled with many things that i love (and, i hope, many things that i will do a better job of sharing with you here).

new year's walk

and then there's this little bundle of delight. last year was one of the best of my life because of her, and i can't imagine that 2013 will disappoint.

thank you to all of you who continue to stop by and read these silly words. i truly do appreciate each and every one of you, even though i'm not terribly good at showing it.

and happy new year… let's make this the best year ever, ok?

4 comments:

  1. That's too funny because I told Ben that I had a motto for this year too - "something is better than nothing." Yes, it sounds completely lame (and kind of half-ass) but I feel that there are so many things that I want to start but never begin because I feel like I won't be able to finish them, do them right, or I talk myself into believing that I'll never succeed. I suppose that this is my own version of Nike's "just do it."
    Here's to a wonderful 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year to you! I always love seeing shots of little Ingrid. The cute! I have been thinking about my word for the year, and I think I've settled on 'focus'. I like clean it up, too. It works in a lot of ways, as you said. I hope to see you again in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still here! Hope 2013 is great. I'm ready for whatever 2013 brings. I always love the pictures from your walks outdoors esp in winter. I'm reminded of those delicate snowdrops you once posted when you were pregnant with Ingrid. As I may or may not have told you, I happen to love a lot of things that are Celtic. In the time since I saw your snowdrop photo, I since learned that snowdrops are associated with a Celtic holiday/festival called Imbolc that is celebrated on Groundhog Day or right around then, in early February. Apparently, snowdrops signify that spring is getting ready to return and the earth is waking up, and light is returning and it all makes sense, seeing such a beautiful, delicate flower amidst snow and ice. They are beautiful! As is Ingrid. (And as are you!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your motto for the year! i still have to decide on mine. i figure if i get it decided before the end of the month i am still ok right? i love seeing pictures of seattle. i really love that area so much. i think i am supposed to live in washington! ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete