so, i officially started these pillows last june. i guess i am that person who takes seven months to make two pillows.
they weren't really that hard. i am just really that lazy.
this was the first one i started, inspired by this thing i pinned. for this pillow i wanted to stick to an orange/salmon/red/grey/black color palette, but if i make something like this again i might do it in solids to look more like the inspiration photo.
i started the second with the idea of using drunkard's path blocks again, and after playing around with them they morphed into this squiggly, intestine-like design. or maybe they look like tulips?
you can see that in the first pillow there are some small puckers around the curves, something i was struggling with. but then i changed my approach and, using this video, tried sewing my curves without pins, which was a revelation. no more puckers! it seems so counterintuitive, but it really works amazingly well.
for both i did some simple quilting following the curves so as not to complicate things. i think they have kind of a cool 70s vibe going on. i like it.
i backed both with my old stand-by, robert kaufman yarn-dyed essex linen in black. these pillows are destined for a guy, so i had to macho them up just a little. (i know, i know, these colors are not traditionally male, i'm taking a chance here. go with it.) i installed invisible zippers (well, mine are a little visible, i'm not great at this yet) to class things up, using katie's fabulous tutorial. soon, these will be packaged off and shipped to a very cool person.