Friday, February 1, 2013

… going to quiltcon!

geez louise, when i registered for quiltcon it seemed like it would take forever to get here. and now, look! it's only a few weeks away. i can't say how thrilled i am to be going, for the amazing classes (i signed up for jay mccarroll's class on friday and lotta jansdotter's class on saturday afternoon), and all the cool lectures, and the quilt show, and seeing old friends, and hopefully meeting new ones. like you!

bangs

*this is an old picture. i mostly still look like this

so i'm adding myself to the modern quilt guild linky party and sharing five things about myself. here goes.

1. i went to a women's college and majored in theater. seven years later i went back to school and got a masters in acupuncture and traditional chinese medicine. i practiced and taught acupuncture for five years. i am now a stay at home mom and even though i wouldn't want to be doing anything else right now, i still feel embarrassed when people ask me what i do for a living. i hope to get over that someday.

2. i've only been quilting for about four years. before that i never really did any sewing, aside from pegging my jeans in high school.

3. it feels like i am the only person on the face of the planet who doesn't really like text fabric. i know, i'm sorry. i've seen some really lovely quilts that use it, but it's just not for me.

married!

4. my husband and i eloped in new york city. it was one of the highlights of my life. i would recommend eloping to anyone. new york city is also pretty awesome, too.

5. i don't really like to travel, i used to have a paralyzing fear of flying, and i'm painfully shy around new people. despite all this, i'm still pretty excited to be going to quiltcon. that says something, right?

me on the highline

hope to see you there!

20 comments:

  1. I feel the same way you do (with few exceptions) about text fabric. And we eloped too (big fan). Can't wait to finally meet you at QuiltCon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're so cute and you're my fave, and I wish I was going! And when we met, I didn't think you seemed very shy at all! Have the most fun ever, even though I'll be super jel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!! Totally agree with you when it comes to registering, I booked a room the day QuiltCon was announced and now it's only a few short weeks away.

    Looking forward to possibly running into you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post AraJane, I look forward to hearing how you like Quilt con. I would love to go, maybe next year.

    Oh, and I don't like text fabric either. I've seen a few that I like but mostly, it bugs me ;-)

    have a geat time!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to meet you. Hey don't worry about not liking text prints. I sometimes feel like I'm the only "modern" quilter that's not into hexagons, LOL! We all have things we like or don't. It's what gives us all such great variety :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still feel embarrassed when I have to tell someone I stay at home with my kids. Not that people were impressed when I was working and said I did non-profit development. That just made them afraid I'd ask them to donate money. I think it's so awesome you are an acupuncturist! AND a mom.

    I'll be in Lotta's class on Saturday too and can't wait to meet you! Although if you leave on Wednesday with Krista W. and all the other Seattle peeps, I'll be on that plane too and will see you there first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to catching up in Austin! Funny we have to fly so far to see each other and we only live 3 1/2 hours apart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so excited for Quilt Con too! I'm looking forward to meeting you in person!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So excited for you and so jealous. Wishing I could be there to meet all my fellow online friends. Perhaps it will be in the cards next year, as I have just become the very first President of our local Modern Quilt Guild, and, as such, will somewhat be able to justify the trip :) Hope you have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! You're going to QuiltCon! I hope we can meet up there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So excited that you'll be there, Ara Jane! I get in Wednesday around 3 pm if you want to meet up sometime. So much to do; so many people to see, but don't want to miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. have a fun time! sounds like it'll be a blast. I love the things you shared about yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You forgot to add that you are adorable. Can't wait to see you again, sweets!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking forward to meeting you in person at QuiltCon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. yay! I can't wait to see you again!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i so wish i was going and could see you again!!! i hope you have a wonderful time and please go all totally geeky and fan girl when you see jay! i love him with my whole heart! i loved reading this about you! you are so beautiful on the inside and out! also, your wedding picture is the cutest ever! i wish spencer and i would have eloped. there are so many things about my wedding that i would change now the venue being the first on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  18. And I think I´m the only one who loves modern quilts but doesn´t like 'wonky' blocks in any form. We all have our likes and dislikes- otherwise it would be so boring. Now I´m gone to look up the word 'eloped' in my english-german dictionary. Haven´t heard it before? Always up to learn sth new. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. As a fellow graduate of the same college, I can tell you not to feel embarrassed about being a stay-at-home mom. It might not be the right decision for everyone, but you made the right decision for YOU! You can always go to work (or back to work) later on, but no one else can raise your child. That decision is a very personal one and so many factors go into it--your interests, your finances, whatever. If you have a child/children, then being a mother is the most important work that you can do that does NOT have a dollar amount that can ever be attached to it. My mom stayed at home when I was growing up and I benefitted from it in ways that many of my friends didn't get to experience. So looking back I am so thankful for that. There were sacrifices, I'm sure, on my parents' part, but I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything--my mom was (and still is!) always there for me when I needed/need her. So your daughter is such a lucky gal in so many, many ways. I also think it's way cool that you went from working with acupuncture needles to working with sewing needles. From what I know about you as your (online) and fellow-women's-college-alum friend, I admire your talent and creativity!! I really hope to see you in person one of these years. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. World's Most Popular Website where you can get every thing you want, Marketing and Advertising, Social Media Marketing, News updates, Entertainment Updates, Funny pictures, Entertainment Pictures, Hot pictures, Classified Websites, Mp3 Tunes, Online Jobs, Videos, Funny Videos and Much More Fun Mania
    HotCurrentAffairs.com

    ReplyDelete