Tuesday, May 21, 2013

… my harlequin star quilt

(i just want to say that i started writing this long-overdo post before i saw the lovely and sweet shout-out from rachel over at stitched in color. seeing that made me get just a little misty-eyed and reminded me of why i love our blogging community so much, even when some of us don't regularly keep up with the blogging part so well [ahem]. thank you, rachel!)

harlequin star

i would like to say that i am able to finish quilts without pressure of a deadline, but yeah, i'm pretty sure that is not true. that's, in fact, the opposite of true. fact is, if there's no deadline, there's a pretty good chance of me never finishing something. so i was pretty glad the seattle modern quilt guild had a deadline last week to submit star quilts for a show that will go up at island quilter in june.

and this quilt was so fun to make! i had no real agenda other than to make a lonestar-inspired quilt in bright, exciting colors.

from treasury of american quilts by cyril i. nelson & carter houck

i used this quilt, from treasury of american quilts as a jumping off point. i loved the way the lonestar points used a checkerboard pattern instead of the traditional radiating colors. and the more i looked at it the more it seemed to me to look like a harlequin, so that's where my design process and color selection took me. i used a variety of solids from my stash, including kaffe fassett shot cottons, and robert kaufman kona cottons and essex linens.

harlequin star

once i finished piecing the lonestar itself, i wanted to set off the brightness by using just blacks and whites for the background. i initially created the small half-square triangle blocks to be the square inset sections for the star, but quickly realized that a) y-seams are crazy difficult and b) i didn't even make those sections big enough to fit anyhow. so i stepped back and realized that i didn't want to waste the work i had already done and decided instead to move all those pieces to the border and create simple, larger HSTs for the inset pieces. and i tried a bunch of methods for piecing the y-seams until i discovered one that worked well for me. not so difficult after all, really.

harlequin star

i quilted it with relatively tight straight-line quilting (all lines are about 1/2" apart) on my janome. the quilting follows each point (or wedge) of the star into the center point and back out again. i really love the effect. and, as i recently learned, this kind of straight-line quilting is definitely my thing. even though i was on a very tight deadline (i left myself about three days to quilt and bind) i was glad i didn't flake out and do simpler quilting as i've done in the past.

harlequin star back

the backing is a whole cloth cynthia rowley for michael miller print that keli helped me pick out at drygoods design. i love that it's bright and festive and that it's difficult to see where i had to piece it together or where i used the same print to make a hanging sleeve for the show.

harlequin star multicolor binding

the binding is a scrappy pieced binding using all the solids from the lonestar. the quilt ended up measuring about 47" square.

harlequin star

after the show at island quilter this quilt will come home with me where it will be the new baby quilt for our little huckleberry, who we're expecting in early november. yup, you read that right:

True fact. And so happy to be able to finally tell the world since I look like I'm about 5 months rather than 3.

i am pregnant! i announced this on instagram and facebook several weeks ago, but forgot that not everyone keeps up with those social networking mediums, so maybe i should spread the news elsewhere. the other great news? it's another girl! i'm sure i would have been thrilled to have a boy, but having another girl really warms my heart. it also makes it way easier to share all of ingrid's old clothes and baby crap. but really, this is happy news indeed. in fact, i found out i was pregnant while at quiltcon, which makes that trip even more special for me. actually, in honor of that, we're going to name her connie.

ok, no we're not. but that would be funny. but really, we're not. for now, she's the huckleberry. because ingrid's going to have a huckleberry friend and because, hey, huckleberries are delicious!

23 comments:

  1. Yay! And you found out at QuiltCon? Crazy. Huckleberry indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new baby....and I absolutely love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this quilt! The colors, the inspiration, and the quilting are spot on. Great job.

    And congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt is fantastic. The composition of the gray triangles is balanced yet kinetic, perfectly in tension with the pulsing star.

    Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best blog post ever! Absolutely to die for quilt and then the wonderful news that you're pregnant! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. congratualtions on a beautiful quilt and a precious huckleberry.
    (and welcome back!)
    E xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. congratulations! your harlequin star quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! And your quilt is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did I miss this on Instagram?!?! CONGRATULATIONS, friend!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! I just about died when I saw "Connie." Not that I don't like the name. We told family we would name our daughter a nice Norweigian name like "Toastig" for months even while secretly giggling to ourselves with no intention of naming her that, but I am going to have a giggle to myself over Connie for a while now.

    I think I can steal this quilt on Thursday, mu ha ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally missed this on IG! Congratulations! And your quilt is so fantastic. Everything about it is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally love your quilt and congrats again on your happy news!

    ReplyDelete
  13. congrats.. what a lovely quilt and experience for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What about Conniecon? :)

    I love this quilt so much, it inspires me to pull all my bright stash colors out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's beautiful.

    And, congratulations! I think Huckleberry is a pretty fine name, anyway, so you could just stick with that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your new huckleberry~
    I so wish I could go see the star show. I'm sure it will be awesome~

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have four children, three girls and one boy. I love my son, but girls are such an incredible blessing!!! Congrats!! Any chance there's going to be a pattern for this quilt????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much (i secretly wanted two girls)! with my limited time at the moment i don't think i have much time to do a pattern for this quilt, but if you google for lone star tutorials you will find a lot of super helpful information for making your own lone star!

      Delete
  18. Congratulations on your new little one you announced.
    You are listed on the Quilting As You Go give away for June 19th. I didn't see anything in your entry for this, but I am still hoping to win the EPP book.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi celia. thank you! my post will be going up on june 19th (pacific time) for the blog tour, but i am not doing a giveaway of the book. but you can still go to lucy's blog and comment for a chance to win the book through june 21st! http://www.charmaboutyou.com/2013/06/quilting-on-go-blog-hop-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete