Tuesday, October 22, 2013

… a 3/4 log cabin quilt

high-volume 3/4 log cabin

before i finally pack this up and send it off to wrap them in love (i know, i know, i'm a little pokey with these things lately) i thought perhaps i should write a little about this quilt, my new all-time favorite for the love circle of do. good stitches. you may remember the quickie tutorial i wrote up a few months ago for my bee members to make these simple, bright blocks in a pattern i'm still calling 3/4 log cabins for lack of a better term. well, here they are, in all their amazing, bright, saturated, in-your-face glory.

i'm seriously quite tickled with how it turned out.

high-volume 3/4 log cabin back

the backing fabric is from anna maria horner's hand drawn garden collection. i picked this up at fabric depot when i was down in portland for the pnw modern quilt guild meet-up in august. in retrospect maybe i should have taken the extra few minutes to try and line up the pattern where i had to create a seam, but i'm generally so terrible at cutting and sewing large pieces of fabric (seriously, does anyone else have this problem?) and i worried that even if i tried it would still not meet up completely and that would frustrate the heck out of me. oh well. i still love the print and how it complements the boldness of the front.

high-volume 3/4 log cabin

i also quilted this one on my friend sandie's longarm. she suggested this terrific baptist fan pattern board. the shape reminds me of a rainbow, which i like because it softens up the hardness of the squares, but the rainbow shape keeps with the rainbow theme of the colors (hey, it's a stretch, but it works!). she also suggested the orange thread, which i never would have thought of myself, but looks great on all the bright solids. if i did this myself i totally would have used white thread, which would have been too jarring for the quilt. that sandie is so smart.

high-volume 3/4 log cabin

this is the 7th quilt i've made for do. good stitches after being in the bee since its humble beginnings. it's fun to look back and see how many quilts our little bee has made and think about how much good it is doing for others. and, to be honest, it's so fun for me to be a part of this group, that there is definitely a bit of selfishness involved here. i've met so many wonderful women through this group and had the chance to learn while sewing out of my comfort zone that it rarely feels like work. so thank you to everyone who helped make this quilt happen!

13 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't look at that quilt without thinking that you're GENIUS! This was such an easy, yet awesome quilt for a bee. The colors are bound to make some child happy, plus they're so bright that it'll hide wear well. Love the way you quilted it. Thanks for the orange thread tip. Oh, and your photo of the tag just reminded me to pull out a tag to send with Jacey's blocks. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a lovely quilt. I think the design is so happy and interesting. It has a great combination of structure and freedom. Really gorgeous.
    E xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out so cool! Great idea - that 3/4 log cabin, and the saturated colors are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fabulous quilt I love the way you have arranged the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazingly stunning! love how bold it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so beautiful! I love this design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Rachel - you are a GENIUS! I loved this block when you first showed it but the quilt is even more amazing than I ever imagined. Love it so, so, so much. A total winner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love seeing this finished! and the bright colors are so awesome. The fan quilting is perfect for it. I wonder if I can find a place where I can rent longarm time. I think it would be fun to try a time or two! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my favorite quilt made from just solids!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just came to your blog to look for the January tutorial, and I had to scroll down and look at this quilt some more… I know it was a group effort, but you did such a great job on it - from inspiration/design to the quilting and finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love this quilt! The saturated colours and free design.... Just stunning! So glad I have discovered your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just gorgeous! Just found your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete